Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Solo Riding


Solo Riding

Lately I have been doing a lot of solo riding during the middle of the week due to a schedule change at work. Solo riding is probably one of the most dangerous types of ATV riding there is. To me, riding alone gives me a different kind of rush than any other riding. It is a conscious decision I have made to not let my weird work schedule prohibit me from doing something I love. It is the art of self reliance. If something goes wrong the only person to blame is yourself. On the same token; if something goes wrong the only person who can help is yourself.

When riding alone it is important to give yourself the best chance possible to make it out alive in case something goes wrong. Let someone know where you are going and when you plan to be back. This person should ideally have knowledge of the area and the means to get there. You should bring enough food and water to last at least several days. It is all the more important to have emergency gear like fix-a-flat, a small air compressor, a first and and snake bite kit, the means to build a fire and a map. I personally bring a 2 way radio with me so that in case of an accident I can scan the channels and send out an SOS.

Knowledge is power. Knowledge of the land and the distances between A and B. It is not going to help if you manage to get a hold of someone if you cant tell them where you are. Knowledge of where resources like water and shelter are. Knowledge of the weather forecast and patterns.

The decisions one makes when exploring along are magnified that much further. When you are along you have to do your due diligence to mitigate risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment